Michaan's Auctions is seeking an enthusiastic, organized and detail-oriented Asian Art Assistant to assist with inventory management, language translation, gallery setup, cataloging and daily administrative tasks.
- Receive all incoming Asian art consignments.
- Catalog and research Asian paintings and prints.
- Assist the Specialist with identifying signatures and seal marks.
- Assist the Department and Front Desk in answering general inquiries, condition reports and bidding registration in both English and Chinese.
- Gallery preview setup - Includes lotting and tagging the Asian art section for each upcoming auction.
- Preview Staff - Assist potential buyers during auction previews.
- Telephone bid on behalf of buyers in both English and Chinese.
- Assist with accounts receivable (payment collections) for overseas Chinese buyers.
- Press release and advertising translation from English to Chinese for marketing.
- Data entry and filing.
- Organize inventory room.
- Other duties as needed or required.
Requirements & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree - Degree with a focus in Art History, or a strong interest in Art History and/or Asian Art a plus.
- Fluent in English and Mandarin with excellent reading and writing skills in both; fluency in Cantonese is strongly preferred; knowledge of reading and writing Japanese is a plus.
- Ability to read Chinese Seal Script and Running Script.
- Customer service experience is a plus.
- Strong work ethic, flexibility and dedication.
- Outstanding organizational, communication and time-management skills.
- Excellent attention to details and ability to handle high-value property responsibly and respectfully.
- Ability to lift and move heavy property (at least 20 lbs).
- Self-motivator who can work independently and as part of a team to solve problems.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Email.
This is a full-time position. Must be available to work during auction weekends and special events.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and references to: Lauren Lozada at .