Michaan's Auctions is seeking an enthusiastic, organized and detail-oriented Fine Art Specialist. The Fine Art Specialist is responsible for evaluating and acquiring various Fine Artworks to be auctioned in twelve (12) monthly Estate Auctions and two (2) biannual Fine Art auctions per year, ensuring excellent prices realized, maximum sell-through rates, and optimal consignor and buyer satisfaction.
- Successfully acquire quality consignments for all upcoming monthly Estate Auctions and biannual Fine Art auctions.
- Provide professional auction evaluations to potential clients on various types of artwork including paintings, prints, sculpture and photographs.
- Accurately identify and catalog artist period/style and medium.
- Attend on and off-site appraisal events and conduct private appraisal appointments.
- Provide photo appraisals in person and via email.
- Respond to all client inquiries via the phone, email or in-person, sometimes requiring conflict resolution and troubleshooting.
- Build and maintain outstanding business relationships with all consignors, buyers and vendors.
- Promote, market, and advertise the Department in order to achieve maximum sell-through rates. Establish, build, and nurture exceptional working relationships and rapport with buyers. Sell the sale.
- Assess the Department sale results and overall Department performance on a monthly basis. Ensure that all necessary adjustments are made to maintain and grow the Department.
- Supervise the research and writing of catalog descriptions for all incoming Fine Art property.
- Generate detailed condition reports and take additional photos of lots, upon request.
- Proof and edit catalogs for both monthly Estate Auctions and biannual Fine Art auctions.
- Proof, edit, and approve marketing materials while working effectively with the Director of Marketing.
- Ensure that all Art Department projects are completed in a precise and timely manner by following-up with various Departments within the company.
- Assist in receiving incoming art consignments. This includes tagging property, safely moving property, maintaining the proper storage of property, and inventory data entry.
- Assist with Auction Preview on Preview and Auction days. Telephone bidding.
- Other duties as needed or required.
Requirements & Skills
- Master’s Degree or comparable professional experience with a focus in Fine Art and Appraising.
- Minimum 3+ years professional experience in appraising Fine Art within the auction industry.
- Exceptional customer service principles and practices.
- Highly organized with excellent time-management skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Experience and confidence working with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgment.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to handle high-value property responsibly and respectfully.
- Outstanding communication and the ability to work with several departments and clients.
- Self-motivator who can work independently and as part of a team to solve problems.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Email.
- Ability to lift and move heavy property (at least 20 lbs).
- Availability to work some nights, weekends and holidays.
This is a full-time position. Must be available to work during auction weekends and special events.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and references to: Lauren Lozada at .